Friday, February 13, 2009

Be Careful What You Write

I agree. But the truth will set you free.

Apparently, OCrenter decided to discontinue his blogging because of threats of lawsuit.

Here's what OCrenter was facing:

Cary Burch V. OCrenter


Chuck at http://www.socalbubble.com was nice enough to replicate the information. Chuck called the bluff and he prevailed.

-----------

Here's an interesting blog entry at the LA Times about how bloggers discover the truth that journalists miss in their own stories because they are sloppy.

Here is more information on the unsuccessful lawsuit against implode-o-meter

-----------

If you want to sue me , by all means, feel free to:

1) Spend your money on a lawyer to get a court order to compel Google and Microsoft to reveal my IP address. You will need to deal with the Google and Microsoft lawyers.

Even if you get a court order, you will need to pay Google and Microsoft's cost to provide the information that you seek. I hear that software engineers can afford to buy nice houses in Silicon Valley, Seattle and also San Diego. So it will cost a pretty penny to send them on a fishing expedition.

I myself, as the blogger, cannot even view the IP address of the people who post on my blog.

2) Spend more money to compel the ISP to match the IP address to the account owner.

3) Spend yet more money to identify me. BTW, I use an open WiFi connection.

4) Then spend more money to initiate the lawsuit.

I'm sure that you have enough money to feed the lawyers. Plus you'll be stimulating the economy.

9 comments:

  1. Brian,
    ocrenter became ocbuyer. After his purchase there wasn't much point in his monitoring because he had achieved his goal. Maybe you will be the next to buy by stepping is his footsteps?
    - Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, Wilson,

    I believe that OCrenter became SDrenter.

    If I find a luxury apartment downtown for 1997 prices, then I might just stop blogging.

    Who knows; never say never. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting that link, Brian. Are you going to take over BMIT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Brian, please take over BMIT. BMIT has a huge following. Why start from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I emailed OCrenter as he suggested... I'll wait to see what he says.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For your information, as a blogger on blogspot.com, I, as the blog owner, can't even tell the IP addresses of the people who post responses to my posts.

    Only Google (which owns this site) has access to that information. And I don't even think that they record that information for any length of time.

    So, for Cary Burch to threaten that he can undercover that information is laughable. He lost his house, so I doubt that he had the money to even attempt it as he would have had to cover the cost for Google to provide that information (that is if he could obtain a court order first).

    If Google software engineers can afford house in Silicon Valley, I'm sure that it's not cheap to pay them to go on a fishing expedition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good to hear Cary lost the house. It was awful to file a lawsuit about the house, since the information is public and anyone with the knowledge can find all the info readily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Brian...I almost bought a town home last year.

    ReplyDelete